Wednesday 20 March 2019

Trump on McCain. again.


Hypocrisy.

Trump tweets that John McCain was last in his class at the Naval Academy (which is false; he was close, but not last).

At the same time, Trump's lawyers threatened schools that Trump attended if they released Trump's grades.

"He's not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."
(Trump about McCain in interview, 7-18-2015) 

I don't often agree with Mitt Romney, but I thought this tweet yesterday was spot on:

I can’t understand why the President would, once again, disparage a man as exemplary as my friend John McCain: heroic, courageous, patriotic, honorable, self-effacing, self-sacrificing, empathetic, and driven by duty to family, country, and God.
(Romney tweet, 03-19-2019)

I often disagreed with McCain politically. But he was a man of character. Trump is not. Trump is none of those adjectives Romney used to describe McCain. It is unbelievable that the President of the United States continuously disparages an American hero, from his own political party, out of spite.

I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president I had to approve,” Trump told the crowd. “I don’t care about this, I didn’t get ‘thank you,’ but that’s OK. We sent him on the way. But I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.
(Trump speech, 3-20-2019)

Good leaders lead (and serve). They don't look around for thank you's.

There are certain things that are right and certain things that are wrong -- whether you are a Democrat, a Republican or somewhere in between. And attacking a dead man who spent five years as a prisoner of war and another three decades serving the country in elected office is simply wrong. That's true if Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce or whoever the next president will be did it. (None of them would have said what Trump did about a man with as decorated a past as McCain but the point still holds.) 
(Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large, 3-19-2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 28